He proceeded to ask how we could spruce up the pancakes this week, and he said strawberries. And he got strawberries, spoiled.
Strawberry Pancakes, adapted from Pumpkin Pancakes
2 cups all-purpose flour
3 tbsp. sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 large egg
3 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1 cup Strawberry Compote (recipe below), cooled to room temperature
1 lb. fresh strawberries, diced
1/4 cup sugar
The first thing I did for this recipe was to make the strawberry compote because I mixed the compote directly into the pancake batter. You can opt to make regular pancakes and then use the compote as your syrup. But we don't like soggy pancakes around here so we rarely poor sweet goodness over our pancakes, I just bake the sweetness into the pancakes. This also makes for great use of leftover pancakes because I can grab a handful of pancakes and eat them on the way to work Monday morning
(1) Strawberry Compote: Combine the diced strawberries and sugar into a small saucepan and simmer over medium heat for about 10-12 minutes until the mixture has combined and strawberries have softened.
(2) In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
(3) In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, melted butter, and buttermilk.
(4) Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, pour the buttermilk mixture into the well, and whisk gently just until incorporated. This batter will appear quite thick and lumpy, but trust me once you add in the strawberry compote, it will thin out.
(5) Fold in the cooled strawberry compote, and heat a non-stick skillet over medium-low heat.
Last time I forgot to take pictures but this time I got ya covered, they should look something like this when they are ready to flip.
(7) Flip the pancakes and cook another minute or two.
(8) Snack on a few while cooking the remaining pancakes and serve warm!
Somehow we have managed to start a Sunday tradition in our new home, Pancake Sunday! :) With the holidays and traveling coming up, we won't be able to keep it up religiously but I can assure you that the bf will try his hardest to keep this one going. In preparation for this tradition to continue I just ordered this awesome double burner cast iron griddle on Amazon!
I can't wait for our next Pancake Sunday so that I can use my new griddle!!
Happy almost Thanksgiving!!